-
May 17th, 2001, 02:27 PM
#1
Inactive Member
Well, I'm a bit groggy today but wouldn't have missed last night's SPA show...with the as-promised Cherie Currie, Sandy West & more...
I left the better half at home because, well, she's SANE. And got to the club around 11 o'clock, and things were still very low-key. Of course I was not the first Jetthead/Runaway fan there...my buds Harley & the LilEvilOne were front & center, another friend from Boston, and several others from near & far.
Shortly the room buzzed with the arrival of the GoGos, en masse (I'm not making this up). My friend Liz said OH MY GOD! I've loved the GoGos since I was five! (Liz has an effortless way of making people feel old...)
They were escorted to a stageside VIP area, along with an arrival from a Broadway show (Joan Jett, of course, all in black, wearing a black watchcap).
The band took the stage somewhere around midnight, with the California duo of Sandy & Cherie joined by Lunachicks Gina and Squid, on guitar and bass respectively, and Barb Morrison (leader of Itchy Trigger Finger) on rhythm. (Barb's guitar features the sticker: FIGHT CRIME, SHOOT BACK!) She's often performed on tribute nights, and when I caught her eye, I said: are you feeling like one of the coolest people on the planet? She nodded enthusastically.
The place got packed pretty quickly, and since there wasn't a "no camera" policy, you couldn't move without getting socked in the head by a video, digital or old fashioned flash camera.
Misstress Formika, long the hostess of Squeezebox (this was a pre-Friday farewell party), took the stage in an ENORMOUS Betty Page wig, and could barely contain herself as she introduced the band, whom she termed The Runachicks! The Lunaways!
The stage was rather high, so those of us in the front had to look almost straight up, but Cherie worked the whole room, occasionally getting down on her knees to make sure those up front got the eye contact...Sandy pounded the crap out of the drums. She uses huge sticks and makes her presence known. BTW, she is an amazing drummer.
The set list was as follows:
American Nights
California
Is It Day or Night?
Wild Thing (Sandy singing lead)
Midnight Music
These Boots are Made for Walking (Sandy)
Love Hurts
C'Mon
Queens of Noise (joined by Theo of Lunachicks, and Miss Guy)
Cherry Bomb
Early on, Cherie set the tone for the evening when she flashed one lovely breast at the crowd...then remarked that if her son had seen it, he'd want to kill her! She later remarked that she almost wished he'd seen the show...and maybe he'd say, MOM, you really WERE cool.
During Love Hurts, she grabbed Harley's face and gazed into her eyes and sang right to her, causing the fine Ms. Harley to turn about 10 shades of purple.
Miss Guy threw her own bomb when she got to the stage and requested that Ms. or Mr. Jett please join them...the crowd got going, and Cheri said: come on, she's exhausted, she's been on stage already tonight! And it wasn't something any of the Joan fans actually expected. It's just not her style. It's like begging her to sing, "Achy Breaky Heart." It's just not going to happen.
However, she rocked out during the entire set, and GoGo Jane Weidlin turned up on the far side of the stage, grinning and dancing, staring up at Cherie and waving.
It was one of the more starry-eyed crowds I've ever seen...people who knew it was a rare experience they might not see again (until Friday, but rarely after THAT...)
Theo took the mic after Queens of Noise to announce that the without the Runaways, the Lunachicks never would have happened. All-in-all it was a mutual admiration society & there's nothing wrong with that, when there's so much to admire! (I think Theo is one of the great rock singers of the last few years).
After, people crowded round the VIP area, my friend Liz got a hug from Jane Weidlin, and Joan and Sandy sat on the tops of their seats, grinning and nudging each other like they'd gone back in time about 25 years.
So if you can, try to make it to the repeat performance on Friday...Misstress Formika strongly hinted that the "special guests" at the last night of Squeezebox will include Blondie and an appearance by the GoGos.
Wow!
KW
[This message has been edited by KWNYC (edited May 17, 2001).]
-
May 17th, 2001, 10:49 PM
#2
Inactive Member
I was at the show last nite and I had a blast. My first time seeing Cherie and Sandy live, I can't wait for Friday. After the show I got to shake Sandy's hand and give her a hug! I can't wait to develop the pictures, hope they come out.
Hey KW, I was there with Harley and Lilevilone, I know you by name, but you don't know me, great review of the show!!!
-
May 20th, 2001, 08:43 AM
#3
Inactive Member
-
July 8th, 2001, 07:51 AM
#4
Inactive Member
-
July 8th, 2001, 09:48 AM
#5
HB Forum Owner
Steverino - the waste of skin posting under the hyphenated name is not the same person who authored the above post. The stalker/imposter always steals the names of respected members of our community because he is too much of a loser wimp to use his own name.
-Joe the Rocketmaster
-
July 8th, 2001, 10:44 AM
#6
Inactive Member
Thanks for clearing that up, Rocketmaster. And my apologies to the "REAL" KW-NYC for confusing him with that idiot. The other guy is a very sick dude who needs INTENSE head help.....desperately. An individual with a real anger problem. What a sad soul...poor guy.
-
July 9th, 2001, 04:19 PM
#7
Inactive Member
Thanks for your prompt response, Rocketmaster.
In general, on any messageboard, if someone suddenly starts posting in a manner they haven't previously,check the user name to see if it is (in this case) a hyphenated or just slightly different version of the original name. Also, beware of any person identifying him or herself as the subject of the message board or any celebrity...impersonations are rife on the 'net.
KW
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules
Bookmarks